Saturday 14 July 2012

Reflection on Classroom Management with ICT


Reflection on Classroom management with ICT

The effective teacher must be equipped with skills to ensure that proper classroom management is maintained.  Prior to April, 2011, before the netbooks were introduced in the primary schools my classroom management skills were not called into question. However, the introduction of the netbooks brought with it a new set of management issues for me as well as other teachers in the system. These new challenges require new solutions and already this course is providing some answers. 
As a classroom teacher, I now have to contend with issues having to do with the maintenance of hard ware and software and the setting up of systems to effectively manage the integration of these into the normal classroom activities. This is something that many of us as teachers are not adequately prepared for at the moment. The readings provided in the modules and activities presented by my colleagues have provided some useful suggestions on the general management of hardware and software. However, I do not recall any mention being made about the need for technical support in the management of the hardware and software and indeed there is a need for technical support staff to assist in these areas.
An issue raised in the readings which had me thinking was the section that zeroed in on Computer labs and learning labs. The fact that the one lap top per child initiative is finally a reality in the Vincentian society had me questioning the need for computer labs and learning labs. In my school for example many teachers teach from their classrooms where each child has a lap top and from reports they are rather comfortable with this method.
Reading further I gathered that the primary goal of introduction of computers in schools is to impact teaching and learning in a fundamental (and positive way) in core subjects.  As a teacher it is my responsibility to ensure that during class sessions pupils are focused on the matter at hand and are not engaged in their own activities. My classroom management skills are most certainly enabling me to do this and at the same time making learning an enjoyable and meaningful experience for those who are in my care.

No comments:

Post a Comment