Wednesday 10 April 2013

Reflective Teaching, Is It Necessary?

It is clear that not only does effective teaching include the successful use of certain instructional strategies and behaviours related to academic achievement, it also involves the ability to determine just  when, where and with whom these strategy and behaviours should be used  Gilbert et. al (2009). Clearly such a teacher must be engaging in reflective teaching. The who does not engage in reflective teaching is teaching in the dark, not knowing how effective he or she is or if there is a need to modify their teaching.

As I reflect on my own teaching practice, I seek answers to a number of questions some of which include:
           Are my objectives achievable?
           Are my students actively involved?
           What kind of classroom climate do I create?
           How well do I respond to questions?
           How do I interact with students?
           Am  making effective use of technology?
Such  practice gives me deeper insights of the strengths and weaknesses of my students and of myself and helps to inform my classroom practices. It is a rewarding exercise that every teacher should become involved in with or without ICT in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment