Tuesday 15 October 2013

Module 4 Activity1 Reflection

 Reflecting on your assessment practice


The completing of the questionnaire was truly a time of introspection for me. I was placed in a mood of self-analysis and my methods of assessment were brought into question.  From the results I discovered that I am making reasonable use of a range of assessment techniques that if employed more frequently can afford my students a greater opportunity to succeed. I am of the opinion that I can make use of more informal form of assessments like portfolios to give students the opportunity to express themselves and I trace or monitor their individual learning more.


I was a bit apprehensive to read what students had to state about the use of the assessment tools used in the classroom and their view of it. At the end of the questionnaire one student said to that he thinks that they are tested too often which is quite frustrating and stressful for them. I entered into his feelings but also reminded him that this has to be done to prepare them well for the final exams that will determine which Secondary school they will go to.


This conversation then reminded me of the disparity between assessment for learning and assessment of learning. The truth is this imbalance can frustrate teachers and create an awkward tension between classroom assessment of students learning for accountability purposes and assessment for learning. Teachers are therefore expected to prepare students to excel on standardized tests. Being a grade six teacher, I am constantly reminded of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment